The Montgomery County Historical Commission is offering for sale its new 239-page pictorial book on our county’s history: MONTGOMERY COUNTY, TEXAS HISTORICAL TIMELINE, a chronology of historic facts and anecdotes concerning the entire County from its pre-historic days of the Native Americans and the Spanish explorers through those recent county events occurring in 2013. Numerous Read more ...
Greater Conroe Chamber of Commerce Building
- Meeting called to order by Chairman Larry Foerster at 5:30pm.
- Commission members present: Larry Foerster, Anna Shepeard, Gertie Spencer, Edith Clanton, Martha Gandy, Nancy Jackson, Raymon Laughter, Sue Ann Powell, Nevarie Richardson, and Eulice Vial.Commission members absent: Celeste Graves
- Visitors present who introduced themselves: Robin Montgomery, Jean Barnhill, Sally Copley, Suzanne Reese, Judith Weidner, Brenda Beaven, Ann Simms, Billy Ray Duncan, David Frame, David J. Hrivnatz, Carol Hicks, Karen Luca, Martha Foerster, Joe Richardson.
- County Judge Alan B. “Barb” Sadler was introduced and gave encouraging comments to the audience.
- Commission Chair, Larry Foerster, commented on Open Meetings Act, and a required training video to be watched by all commissioners either online or at a later meeting.
- No other comments made from the public.
- The proposed By Laws for the Historical Commission were reviewed. Eulice Vial made a motion to approve the ByLaws, motion was seconded by Anna Shepeard, and unanimously approved.
- Nominees for Executive Committee: Anna Shepeard made a motion, seconded by Eulice Vial, that Gertie Spencer serve as the Vice Chairperson. Motion passed unanimously with Gertie Spencer abstaining. Gertie Spencer made a motion, seconded by Nancy Jackson, that Sue Ann Powell serve as the Secretary. Motion passed unanimously with Sue Ann Powell abstaining. Eulice Vial made a motion, seconded by Sue Ann Powell, that Anna Shepeard serve as the Treasurer. Motion passed unanimously with Anna Shepeard abstaining.
- The proposed 2012-2013 Historical Commission Budget was discussed. Sue Ann Powell made a motion, seconded by Martha Gandy, to approve the budget. Motion passed unanimously.
- A future website for the Historical Commission was discussed. Larry Foerster requested that members contact him with any suggestions for a company that they might consider for constructing the website.
- Possible goals, long range plans, and special projects of the Commission were discussed.
- Applicants for appointment to the Commission were introduced and discussed. They are: David “Jay” Hrivnatz, Karen “Candy” Lucas, David Frame, and Brenda Beaven. Anna Shepeard made a motion, seconded by Nancy Jackson, to approve the appointment of these four applicants. Motion was unanimously approved to recommend these applicants to Commissioner’s Court for membership on the Commission.
- Regular meeting date and time were discussed. Next meeting date will be August 20 at 5:30pm at the Conroe Chamber of Commerce building. At that meeting, a regular meeting date will be decided. Larry Foerster recommended that there be 6 meetings this next year—one every other month. The law requires 4 meetings per year.
- Raymon Laughter made a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Nancy Jackson. The motion was passed unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted by: